I started my Good Friday sermon with a statement that certainly fits our current situation…I opened that sermon saying:
YOU KNOW…THE NUMBER ONE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION THESE DAYS IS THE CORONA VIRUS AND Its IMPACT…. ITS SCARY NEWS….WE NEED TO BE AWARE…AND KNOW IT CAN BE DEADLY! BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENT VIRUS OR DISEASE…MORE COMMON…AS A MATTER OF FACT WE ALL HAVE IT…IT’S HEREDITARY….AND IT’S 100% FATAL…DEATH IS THE RESULT THE DISEASE IS CALLED SIN…YOU SHOW ITS SYMPTOMS DAILY…HOURLY…. MINUTE BY MINUTE. NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO PREVENT IT. ONLY ONE CURE. AND THAT’S WHAT GOOD FRIDAY IS ALL ABOUT!
Let’s look at this today. We have every expert (and every want to be expert) tell us all about coronavirus. We hear all about what it is, where it came from, what to do if you have it, how to avoid it, can we make a vaccine to prevent it, can we flatten the curve, etc. I am thankful that we live in a time where technology can give us so many answers to help us fight this virus.
So…what about the disease called sin?
- Where did it come from? We see the first case of sin in Genesis 3:6…When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. God put Adam and Eve in paradise…gave them everything good…one rule, one choice. Don’t eat from a tree that will cause pain and evil. They wanted to be god and make their own rules…. And sin entered God’s creation!
- Who has it? Each one of us has it! It’s hereditary, we are born with this sinful nature. Romans 3:23…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. You and everyone else suffers from this condition. Born with sinful nature and add to it daily.
- How do you know that you have it? We have the disease called SIN…and we show the symptoms of it by the Sins that we commit. Our words, thoughts, actions, motives that fall short of God’s plan for us. The things that glorify ourselves rather than the Lord. Romans 7:15-20…I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. You can isolate, wear a mask, keep social distancing and wash your hands…but sin will still control you!
- What happens when you have it? Well, unfortunately it is 100% fatal. It always leads to death! Romans 6:23…For the wages of sin is death. Ouch! Can’t I just buy a way out, try harder, wish I were better? NO! On your own the end is not pretty…an eternity in a very warm climate, separated from God and all that is Good.
- Is there a cure? Yes! The cure was secured on Good Friday! John 3:16…For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Romans 5:19… For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
You see the truth is that God could not stand the thought of spending eternity without you there with Him…that He paid the ultimate price for you to be free from the consequence of this disease called sin. He became sin on the cross to heal you!
So, let me ask you a question. If you knew of a cure for the coronavirus…if you could save the lives of countless people who have that deadly virus, what would you do? Would you hoard it for yourself, hide the knowledge that you have, keep it a secret? I assume you would share the plan with the whole world!
So…since you know of the cure for the sin disease, what will you do with it? Will you share it? Will you save lives? Will you share the secret with your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, fellow students, with everyone you can reach?
Why not start by sharing this devotion with someone. Why not call someone, text someone, social chat with someone? Why not pray for them?
The world is eager and hungry for good news about the coronavirus and a cure!… Well, they are even more hungry and eager to find the Lord in the midst of this upside-down world. Read God’s plan for you as you read God’s Word daily. Pray for God to guide you as to who you can share the cure with. Talk to God and then sit quietly listening for His as He whispers in your ear.
Lord…we look back and judgmentally wonder why Adam and Eve would disobey you and bring sin into your paradise. And yet when we are honest with ourselves, we admit that we are no better. We sin and fall short of your plans for our lives daily, hourly, minute by minute. Lord, heal us, transform us, change our hearts, lead us to confess and repent. Help us to connect with you and your Word daily…to glorify you with our lives. Lord, use us as instruments in your hands to reach others, to show them the way to forgiveness and eternal life. Help us to boldly proclaim that you have overcome sin, the devil, and the world. Amen.