You may have heard me tell this story, but it fits so well with today’s devotion!
There was a pet store delivery truck driver traveling down the road. Every time he came to a stop light, he got out of the truck and grabbed a 2×4. He would then run to the back of the truck and start beating on the back doors. This went on for miles, and no one could figure out what he was doing. Finally, a guy pulled alongside of him and asked, “what are you doing?” The driver said, “this is a 2-ton truck and I’m carrying 4 tons of canaries. I have to keep 2 tons up in the air at all times!”
Does that describe your life right now? Is it crazy, out of control, filled with worries, and exhausting?
Maybe the coronavirus has turned your life upside down. Maybe dealing with health issues or even the death of a loved one. Maybe finances, loss of work, loss of investments, financial uncertainty. Maybe relationship issues caused by social distancing, or depression caused by isolation.
Maybe something that happened years ago that still impacts you daily. Maybe a hurt like abuse, betrayal, a crime, indiscretion. Maybe a hang-up like an issue with pride, anger, manipulation, depression, anxiety. Maybe a habit like being controlled by alcohol, pornography, shopping, eating.
So, we are at the third choice in our devotions based on a book called Life’s Healing Choices. Many of the ideas and quotes used in these devotions can be found there. (If you missed the last 2 devotions, it’s important that you scroll down to catch up!)
Choice 1 was the REALITY CHOICE. Admitting that you are not God…and life can be unmanageable…. identifying that you are a sinner….and claiming the main issue that impacts your life.
Choice 2 was the HOPE CHOICE. Believing that God exists, you matter to Him, He can help you deal with your hurts, habits, and hang-ups.
So, let me ask you a question…what if you broke your leg? And what if your neighbor was the best orthopedic surgeon. That would be great right?? Not so fast, knowing you have an issue and knowing the one who can help is of no value unless you entrust that person with the issue. In other words,…you need to ask the doctor to fix your broken leg.
Well, I hope your leg is not broken, but you have hurts, habits, and hang-ups in your life and the doctor (Jesus) can help heal that issue. That brings us to choice 3…LETTING GO CHOICE…the Commitment Choice. Committing your life to Christ’s care and control. Taking your broken leg (I mean your broken life) to the doctor (I mean Jesus) and ask Him to fix it!
Makes sense…right? And yet there can be barriers to you taking this step:
- PRIDE…thinking you can handle it on your own. The truth is that if you could, you would have already dealt with it! Proverbs 10:8 (tlb)… The wise man is glad to be instructed, but a self-sufficient fool falls flat on his face.
- GUILT…Ashamed to ask God for help….to admit weakness. Truth is, He already knows…and forgives! Psalm 32:5 (NLT)…Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.” And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.
- FEAR…Afraid to give up control and surrender your life to the Lord. Afraid of what you might have to give up or change? Truth is God wants to clean it up…turn it around…give new meaning, hope, joy. He wants to set you free from the pain and sadness. Isaiah 44:22…I have swept away your sins like a cloud.I have scattered your offenses like the morning mist.Oh, return to me, for I have paid the price to set you free.”
- DOUBT…Not sure if God cares…or if He can help. Remember that it is not the size of the faith, it’s WHO or what you put your faith in that matters the most! (Go back to yesterday’s devotion to review who God is!) Matthew 17:20…Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
So… Are you ready to turn your life and your hurts, habits, hang-ups over to your all Loving Lord? Are you ready to take the broken leg (your hurt, habit, hang-up and sin) and ask the doctor (Jesus) to bring healing?
Reflect on and proclaim these action steps:
- I will believe, trust, and turn my life over to Jesus as my Lord and Savior! Acts 16:31… “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
- I will read and follow His Word daily (Bible) and use it as my standard! 2 Timothy 3:16…All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
- I will accept and move forward in God’s will and purpose for my life! Jeremiah 29:11…For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- I will move forward dealing with my issues by God’s Power and Strength! Philippians 4:13…I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.
Lord, I lift up each person reading these devotions to you. May they know you as Lord and Savior. May they trust that you Love them and that you want to heal them and help them to live a healthy life. Help them to identify the area of their life that is the most unmanageable and out of control. Let them seek your guidance, direction, and choices for them to make. Give them your strength to move forward. Lord, help us to confess that the root of all evil is sin. May each of us confess and repent of our sinfulness and especially our personal signature sins. We thank you for lovingly sending your Son to die in our place… giving us forgiveness and new life. Lord be with us as we navigate this everchanging coronavirus world. Protect us physically, especially those out on the front lines. Give the leaders wisdom, integrity, and compassion as we begin to open things up. Help those who are facing financial storms caused by the closing of businesses. May your church prevail and reach the lost. Amen.