John Baker tells a story about some flooding in southern California. The flooding was so bad that they sent out a reporter in a rowboat. The reporter found a lady sitting on her roof watching things float by. The reporter interviewed her as they watched a Weber grill float by, a large golden retriever float by on top of its doghouse, and many other objects. A few minutes later the reporter saw a hat float by…but a little later the hat was now floating back in the other direction…then back and forth about 5 more times. The reporter asked the lady if she knew how it kept floating back and forth. She said, “Oh, that’s my crazy husband. He said he was going to cut the grass come hell or high water”.
Some of you reading that can relate to him. We focus on the lawn while the house is floating away!
On Friday, we looked at the REALITY CHOICE. I challenged you to determine what your hurt, habit, or hang-up is…. And to understand that you are not God…and on your own, you will never be able to fix your hurts, habits, hang-ups. If you did not read that (and other) devotions, you can find them below.
So, how do you make big choices and decisions? Where do you look for the truth? What standard do you use to determine right and wrong…good and bad…wise and foolish? Where do you turn when life gets complicated?
As I listen carefully, I have been noticing that most sentences people speak these days begin with… “I heard someone say ______” or “I read on the internet that __________” or “I can’t remember where I heard it, but ________.”
The truth is that we tend to believe and repeat the things that support our personal views and justify what we “feel” is the best choice.
We tend to “play God” by seeking our direction by following our feelings, or our so-called wisdom, or friends and popular opinion. Let’s be honest “how has that been working for you?
The second healthy choice for you to make is the HOPE CHOICE.
This is when you believe that God exists, that you matter to Him, and that He has the power to help you deal with your hurts, habits, hang-ups.
Do you believe that God exists?
Many people question if there is a God. I was an atheist when younger, so call me if you are wrestling with this question because I have been there as well. The truth is that GOD EXISTS! Hebrews 11:6 (msg)… It’s impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him.
If you believe that God exists, then, what kind of God is He?
We know that He is:
- ETERNAL! Always was and will always be Lord. (1 Timothy 1:17)…Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- ALMIGHTY! He created and sustains everything good. (Matthew 19:26)… Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- ALL PRESENT! He is with you always. (Jeremiah 23:24) … Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them? “declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.
- HOLY! Perfect and good. (Isaiah 6:3) … And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.”
- JUST! Does what He says. (Deuteronomy 32:4) … He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.
- FAITHFUL! Nothing can separate you from His Love. (2 Timothy 2:13)… if we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot disown himself.
- MERCIFUL! Despite our sinfulness, He forgives us. (Titus 3:5) … He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
- LOVING! He not only does loving things…He is the definition of Love. (1 John 4:8)… Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Which of these characteristics jumps out at you the most?
In light of your hurt, habit, or hang-up…what is the truth about God?
HE KNOWS ABOUT YOUR SITUATION! Psalm 56:8 (msg)… You’ve kept track of my every toss and turn through the sleepless nights, Each tear entered in your ledger, each ache written in your book. You can talk to Him honestly about the storms in your life…. He already knows about them.
HE CARES ABOUT YOUR SITUATION! 1 Peter 5:7…Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. The bible says Jesus wept…He has compassion and wants to walk alongside you…comfort you…guide you.
HE CAN CHANGE (and help) YOU AND YOUR SITUATION! 2 Corinthians 5:17…Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! And in Luke 18:27…Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” And reflect on this verse, Luke 1:19-20…and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength He exerted when He raised Christ from the dead and seated Him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,
He wants to transform you…change you to be all that He created you to be.
So spend time today talking with God! Let Him know what is going on in your life. Sit quietly and listen to His gentle voice. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you.
Open the Bible and read about His love for you. Go back over the verses in this devotion to understand that the creator of the universe Loves you!
Tomorrow we will figure out what to do with the fact that you have hurts, habits, hang-ups…combined with the fact that there is an all-loving God who cares for you! We will look at the letting go choice.