GOOD MORNING! I pray that you will have an awesome day!
There is a story in the Bible that has often fascinated me. Calming the storm is one of the miracles of Jesus in the Gospels, reported in Matthew 8:23–27, Mark 4:35–41, and Luke 8:22–25 (the Synoptic Gospels). This episode is distinct from Jesus‘ walk on water, which also involves a boat on the lake and appears later in the narrative.
Luke 8:22-25 (NIV) – Jesus Calms the Storm: 22 One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out. 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement, they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.”
This is an intriguing story…that certainly applies to us today… It involves a storm…some fisherman…and Jesus.
Some things for us to note:
- It is Jesus who invites them into the boat…to go to the other side.
- A storm comes along…and they were afraid. Strange for fisherman who would have been in many storms on that lake in the past. Did they think Jesus invited them to go with Him because He wanted to drown them….and Himself?
- Jesus (the physical man and Son of God) was right there with them all along…
- They cried out to Him…He spoke and calmed the storm!
- He asked them about their faith…They trusted Him on the good days, did they not trust Him today in the midst of a rain storm?
- But, as always, Jesus uses the storm to help them realize who He is. The fact that He commands even the winds and waters. That they need Him on good days and during the storms of life. That He is always with them…andHe is their refuge and strength in times of need.
Well God’s Word should always bring Peace and direction…and be applied to our lives as well… Where has Jesus invited you go today…what is He nudging you to accomplish today? It may not be a boat, but what is His plan for you today? What storms are you facing today? Has the Corona virus impacted you with the winds of uncertainty about your job and finances…Have the waves of social distancing isolated you from loved ones…Do you feel like you are drowning in fear and anxiety over what tomorrow will bring? Are you flooded with worry about things out of your control? Are you swimming in a new vocabulary of negative phrases (like social distancing, fomite, epidemic, pandemic, outbreak, community spread, self-quarantine, isolation, contagious, virus…)?
Well, learn from our Bible reading from today! Jesus is right there with you! He will never leave you or forsake you. He will calm you in the midst of the storms of your life! He will use this storm to remind you that He is Lord, and that He has it covered. That He will bring good out of this (and all bad things) …and He will use this to bring you closer to Him. John 16:33 says… “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” There will be trouble this side of heaven…but we can find Peace because God has overcome this world!
Lord…. you have invited us into the boat, so to speak, with you. Help us to focus on your presence with us. Calm our anxieties and empower us to accomplish your plans today and every day. Lord, life looks different, scary and unpredictable. Remind us that you never change, that you are all loving, all merciful, and all kind. Thank you for the fact that we are your children. Use this storm to draw those who do not know you into a life-giving relationship with you. Protect those who are out there in the trenches…including but not limited to doctors, nurses, pharmacist, truck drivers, store employees, pastors, firemen, police, military. Amen.
I hope this devotional helped you. Pass it along to those you feel it will help. Call me if you need to talk (440-237-7958 ext 118).
So now what?
- Connect with God and His Word (take time to read and apply it to your life)
- Follow His nudges as to who and how to reach out to one another.
- Show love today to at least 3 people (Cards, phone calls, texts, smiles)
- Go to royred.org for helpful info.